That moment of inspiration...

It's always near. We can find it anywhere. I generally find it in books. I'll stumble upon it within a provoking passage in a novel, or while trudging through occupational jargon in a textbook. The inspiration may even be in the cookbook I'm using to make dinner. Each day I will take the time post that small moment of "hmmm..." and the thoughts that came thereof.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Reform, my friends, Reform

Lately, there has been quite a bit in the newspapers about the attempts to repeal the Healthcare Bill. As there have been many frustrating stories in the news recently (Sarah Palin, TSA, Astrology (*gasp!*scandal!*) - to name a few), I've been picking and choosing what I read. Furthermore, where I now reside in Maine is not the most liberal-minded of areas. As such, I've reached a point where I try not to think about politics so as not to accidentally open my mouth during a conversation and offend anyone.* However, I just finished skimming over an article that stated that Maine has joined some other states, including Florida (what the heck, retirees?) in launching a lawsuit against the Healthcare Bill. That's right, these states want to sue an act of legislation.

This is not what has me fired up. From the very beginning, from the very idea, there has been somewhat understandable opposition to the imposition of healthcare on our nation. I get it - it's a new concept to this country. We've functioned this way for over 200 years and done so somewhat effectively, why should we change now? Nevermind that those weirdos over in Sweden, Canada, and other happy countries have national healthcare systems that provide care and peace of mind to their citizens. What has me upset are the comments that follow the story. Now, I know, I know, as I already pointed out, I am well aware of the political affiliations of the majority of citizens in my area, but the comments are upsetting for other reasons. Namely, they just seem to be a bunch of people who feel the need to be angry and shout about something that they don't understand.

I have a theory. I have no way to prove this theory without crafty and unethical experimentation along the lines of Milgram and Zimbardo, but I still have this theory. I say that many of those on the right end of our political spectrum choose to dislike everything that comes out of the current presidential office because they have chosen that they just don't like the president himself. Whether they dislike him for his age, color, background, name, flexibility, kids, taste in dogs doesn't matter. Some people are just pissed that he got elected and thus pissed about everything that he does. I know I can't be far off from this. When we're angry with someone, we don't listen to what they say. When we think a celebrity is a crackpot (as some certainly are), we tend not to rate their movies very highly. It is to such a degree that I feel the incredible stubbornness of the people of this nation are further perpetuating a dangerous ignorance.

For those who actually want to want to learn more about the healthcare bill, I would recommend taking the time to do so. I admit to simply running away with the happy idea that I'm covered til I'm 26 and that eventually all Americans will eventually have healthcare (what a counseling student I am). Having read all of these comments though, I felt obliged to educate myself. Having done that, I can now happily respond, in the simplest of terms, to these incendiary comments.**

1. You are covered under your parents insurance til you're 26. End of story. Stop. Bitching.

2. No one - NO ONE - will be denied coverage despite a preexisting condition. Would you nonbelievers prefer we give your uninsured mother stage 4 liver cancer to help you understand how expensive chemo is, and how frustrating not getting coverage is?

3. Yeah, we'll all have to have coverage or we'll be fined. You still get to choose. And they're not going to make you pay more than you can. They've supported you on welfare with someone else's money this far, what makes you think they'd stop?

4. If you have a job, your employer will most likely be the one to provide you coverage. Yeah, you've still gotta pay, but there are bonuses to someone else being in charge of it.

5. The government is not trying to take over (we're not quite living in England yet where there are posters that encourage your neighbors to watch your every move and report your suspicious whispers and wiggles in the kitchen after midnight to the most secret secret agency). The government is trying to help you by finding another way for someone to help pay the bills. Oh, wait, you like to pay full price for x-rays for your broken hand? Oh, that's cool, I guess.

6. It's going to save the country money. In fact, it's already saved the country money. About 8 billion dollars.

I'm off my soapbox. I don't like arguments. I don't like conflict. I like to try to solve things. As is the case with just about every question in life, the answer is education. If half the nation chooses to cross their arms and stomp off, there's not much more we can do. In time, though, everyone comes around to a good idea in time.

*On a side note, this does not stop my great amusement at the Patriots' loss to the Jets and watching my proud boyfriend parade about in his Jets regalia.
**The "you"s that appear in this article are not meant to be accusatory. They are being utilized in the form of a universal "you" as I don't have the interest or patience to use the stupid "he/she" or "one" rules. And you're thankful I don't, aren't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment